|Venue||SCCL ( Location Map)|
Course supported by CPDD.
The Certificate/Diploma in Quantitative Language Research Programme aims to equip Chinese Language teachers with the necessary understanding and skills so as to enable them to conduct quantitative studies with the ultimate goal of enhancing their students’ learning of Chinese Language.
As part of the programme, the present module introduces the participants to:
1.Name the characteristics of qualitative and quantitative approaches to language research.
2.Tell the strengths and limitations of the two approaches to language research.
3.Choose between the two approaches and justify the choice.
The content of the course is as follows:
1.The purposes of language research:
• To describe students’ characteristics in language development
• To identify and understand students’ difficulties in language learning
• To test out innovative methods of language teaching
2.Two major approaches to language research:
• Qualitative approach and the use of textual materials
• Quantitative approach and the statistical analysis of test results
3.Characteristics of quantitative and qualitative research compared:
• Theory and hypothesis
• Control and operation
• Data collection
• Mode of thinking
• Data reduction
4.Conditions to consider when choosing an approach:
• Stage of research topic
• Availability of data sources
• Purpose of research